IGA GOST DRAFTING
Before invention of automated design tools engineering designers used drawing tables, materializing their ideas on papers in 2D form. With technological development work emphasis shifted to three-dimensional development of items as more natural way of perceiving information. Currently the process of conventional item and design documentation development looks as follows: in the first instance, three-dimensional model is developed for further elaboration of 2D drawings, specification and other documentation based on this model. Subsequently these documents are completed as per the standards, accepted by the enterprise. The main problem resides in the fact that major part of up-to-date CAD tools are developed by foreign companies and, offering fantastic possibilities for elaboration of three-dimensional digital models, practically do not support Russian standards. CATIA V6 is no exception. Subsequently, engineers have to save 3D model of the item in one of standard data interchange formats and then use it in another system, supporting documentation preparation in accordance with GOST, to finalize documentation development in that system.
Tools for prompt and handy preparation of mechanical item drawings were absent in CATIA V6 for the following distinctive features of USDD: title block filling, designation of unspecified surface undulation on drawing, designation of non-detachable connections, designation of marking or sealing, reference location and handling for parts and assembly units. In addition, national standard has a specific requirement to designation of section line, which was not supported by CATIA V6. Moreover, manual adaptation of each line is troublesome and makes automation impracticable. Command for creation of undulating break-line was absent. Because of these unique features of domestic standards for preparation of design documentation CATIA could not be used in end-to-end process from model development till documentation release. Implementation of GOST Drafting module for CATIA V6 is aimed to resolve all these issues, as the module has general functionality for preparation of 2D documentation in accordance with USDD.
Brief description of tools functionality:
• «Stamp» command allows to create stamp for the first and consequent sheets with possibility of automated fields filling based on item model data. Data format arrangement and modification is easy and can be done with minimum number of operations. This command also includes editor for item specifications in USDD format.
• «Unspecified surface undulation» command creates undulation marking, uniform for a part of item surface.
• «Welded connection» command allows to create and edit welded connection marking with possibility to insert enumeration, including both standardized text lines and special characters, it can be used for site weld and weld all around marking, and includes other useful functions.
• «Soldered joint», «Glue joint» и «Seaming connection» commands ensure handy and comprehensible creation of marking for soldering, gluing and seaming connections.
• «Labeling» и «Marking-off» commands help to create labeling and marking-off designations respectively.
• «Position» command affords possibility to indicate both single and grouped positions of assembly components, making it possible to upload component position from 3D model with synchronization in case of any changes made to the model.
• «Position manager» command allows inputting or editing position of components and assemblies in several ways, while working in 3D model mode. In case of making changes to the positions using this command, relevant designations of positions on drawings, included in the model, are automatically updated.
• «Generate positions» command automatically places positions for 3D model elements taking into account their relation to certain groups of item specification.
• «Adjust sections» command allows to adjust section lines, created by standard tools of Drafting CATIA V6 module, in accordance with USDD format. Automatic line adjustment mode is available for section creation and editing.
«Generate specification» command allows creating additional drafting documents, containing specification for the selected item in accordance with USDD. This specification can further be manually edited using standard CATIA V6 tools, or in a more convenient way, using specification manager, included in «Stamp» command.
Now it is possible to develop 3D model and prepare drawings using the same interface. Thanks to CATIA GOST Drafting application, all necessary tools are integrated into the unified CATIA V6 interface.